Sunday, August 9, 2015

TRAVELING COMPANIONS



I can tell, when I first enter her house, that the news from the doctor isn't good...




She has traveled
 a rough road over the past eight months


       so many

tests

treatments

procedures

other alternatives

too many to count



I've never seen anyone quite like her...

courageous

funny

tough but soft

ha! sometimes too independent for her own good




I've told her how much I admire her, haven't I?

 how she inspires me

how she has taught me so much about

dignity

perseverance

endless hope

maybe just pure will to survive



Her deep green eyes are not as bright today

      they seem          faded              distant

Were they like that yesterday?  

Why didn't I see it?

She struggles unsteadily over to the sink, holding onto the counter to get there,
"These dishes have to be washed, so much cleaning to do."

"Here, let me do them.  I have some extra time today,"  I take the dish towel from her hands.  Our eyes meet briefly over the exchange--and she smiles.  We both know without saying a word.  It won't be long now.

"The doctor says he won't let me suffer," she mentions it casually.

"No, and I won't either."  I won't.  I will do whatever it takes and fight for you.

"Don't leave me, Teri."

"I won't leave you, don't worry."   But can I do it??  Will I be strong enough to 

watch her

fade slowly away

take her last breath

close her eyes and dream forever?


As I began to scrub furiously at the pots, pans, forks, spoons, whatever I can get my hands on, the warm clear water washes and splashes... 

      Yes, I wish I could wash it all away...

your fear 

pain

apprehension

loneliness




No, I can't take it all away but I know

Someone who can...

*Shouting they shall mount the heights of Zion,
they shall come streaming to the Lord's blessings:
they shall be like watered gardens
never again shall they languish.

Then the virgins shall make merry and dance,
and young men and old as well.
I will turn their mourning into joy,
I will console and gladden them after their sorrows,
and my people shall be filled with blessings.




Come, take my hand,  my friend

Together we will stay close

Together we will journey

Together

we embark

 on

 your

 road

to

Everlasting Life




                           
                          (Click on the link below)                         
                          WHAT FAITH CAN DO KUTLESS




* Canticle of Jeremiah 31: 12, 13, 14
photo courtesy of google images

















No comments:

Post a Comment