Tuesday, February 17, 2015

THE ANGEL GUARDIAN



I had heard a lot of stories about them over the years-- pulling someone out of danger at the last minute, appearing out of nowhere to help a stranded motorist, warning of something bad before it happens.  But I never actually saw one until that night.

It was late, after 10pm,  when I got the call

"Can you come out to the nursing home to start a line on Mrs. Mathews?  She is very sick and the doctor wants to try this last medication"

Ugh.  Already settled in for the night, I got up, dressed quickly and headed out for the 45 minute drive to the facility.

When I arrived, I just barely caught the nurse running by,

"It's been a crazy night.  She is down the hall to the far left!"

The room was dark and quiet as I entered.  There she lay, a tiny little body huddled under the blankets.  She appeared to be in a deep sleep---didn't even open her eyes as I got her ready for the procedure.

Concentrating on my task, I almost didn't notice the door to her room, how it was closing on its own after I opened it several  times.  Assuming it was a loose hinge, I finally propped it open  with a chair and got back to work. 



Working at the head of the bed, I first saw it out of the corner of my eye--a white glow standing at the foot of her bed.








 Close enough for me to touch, I could see it--- but I felt its peaceful presence more than anything.

 Powerful, steadfast, unwavering ---it was keeping vigil over her. I  sensed it was guarding her.  As I moved about the room, it would change position too but its focus stayed fixed on her.  It was as if I was an intruder in a very reverent place.  I quickly finished what I was doing and returned to the nurse's station.  

 I was curious about her background and asked the nurse sitting there....

"Oh, that's Mrs. Mathews.  She was a teacher around here for many years and took in lots of foster kids who needed help.  Everyone loved her"

She passed away that night.



Since that night, I've seen  angels in a different way --- no longer the sweet, whimsical, flighty spirits we usually think of. 

They are real beings ----                                                       
                                                                         


                                                                      


           Loyal warriors,  sentinels,  protectors, 
 
 
always present
 
 
never leaving our side
 
 
 they keep steady watch
 
 
 Our Angel Guardians.



                                                           






2 comments:

  1. It's very comforting to know that we have guardian angels watching over us! Loved the story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! Thanks for reading. I'm glad to see that the comments are working now. Somehow they were not posting for others😊

      Delete