I had been pondering it for months....probably since last year...
not sure how to approach it---
the poison ivy taking over my flower bed
especially since we (the poison ivy and I) had an ugly encounter last summer--yeah and I had a bright red insanely itchy rash all up my right arm for a few months to prove it.
How do you get rid of something so threatening??
I asked around but nobody was much help...
...."my cousin got it and she had red blotches all over her face"
...."I once had it as a kid--it was so itchy and burned like crazy--now I'm allergic to plants"
...."hard to get rid of, that's all I know"
...."once you get it, the next time it's even worse"
I was dreading it.
Every day I would walk past my beautiful roses and there it was--
the three leaved monster--
we were in a standoff...
and so far the poison ivy was winning
There had to be a way....but
I couldn't touch it
I couldn't spray it--did that last year and the whole rose bush died
I couldn't trim it--it would just come back even stronger like a
Months went by...
Finally I had enough---it was now or never
I put on some industrial strength gloves I bought at the hardware store and went out to face the culprit.
I began pulling slowly at first..
strange how easily it succumbed, how thin and weak the branches were that held those foreboding leaves--
ha! there was not so much after all, behind that fierce image
I pulled faster and harder getting some strange pleasure and satisfaction
I was doing it!!
Now there was no stopping me!!
After several hours and two large garbage bags later, I looked around triumphant....
the magnificent pale pink blossoms on my rose bush were clearly visible. Now I could actually see the whole bush
poison ivy/poison schmivy
Note to self:
Most things we
turn out to be nothing more than